Saturday, January 18, 2020

Of Masks & Layers

Turns out being who I am
Is the most difficult thing in the world.
Always has been.
How did we manage to create a society
That provides every incentive
For someone who fits in
And every punishment
For someone who doesn't?
How can everyone fit in?
How can it be that everyone
Is inherently how the world demands they be
So they can fit in?

Of Masks & Layers
Telling people what they want to hear
Convinced there's no way out.
Slipping in and out
One mask for this and another for that
Add a layer here to protect the self from abandonment
And another there for self-preservation
Oh will 20 layers suffice?
Or wait does that need to be 200?
What is the exact number?
There's got to be an algorithm for that!

Of Masks & Layers
So many masks and so many layers
To toe the line, to bend the knee.
To agree when you disagree
To say yes when you mean no
To become tired of getting
To the truth between the lies
To make promises, no intention to keep
But hey it was to keep the peace.

Of Masks & Layers
Consequences for betraying the self
Building up in the invisible bank account.
But wait my financials are strong.
Oh ok, yes I will pay off the loans one day.

Of all the Masks & all the Layers
Who am I on the inside?
Of every decision I let the world make for me
How many are truly mine?

a*k²



No comments:

Change the filter!

The little boy complained to his Dad, "When I look up, I want to see the whole sky again Dad, Like remember when we were in the park...